Saturday, March 9, 2013

Knowledge and Ignorance

There's something that has been bothering me for a while...

Why are people ignorant?

I have a teacher who said yesterday, "The North Koreans bombed Pearl Harbor because they were helping the Nazis in WWI." There is nothing correct about that sentences about one of the best known wars America has fought, and that man is supposed to be educating us. I know he's had way more education than I have, and he didn't know that the Japanese bombing Pearl Harbor is what prompted America to enter WWII.

More important question: Why are people OKAY with being ignorant?

I see all these people with just as much access to the world's knowledge as I do, but instead of just looking something up to find an answer to their question, they are content to just not know. I don't understand how people can be okay with ignorance in a world full of beautiful puzzles and wonderful facts.

Perhaps they think it's unimportant?

But every bit of knowledge is important. People think I'm super smart, but really it's only because I took the time to look something up or watch a documentary on something to find some answers at one point. Usually, you don't need something just once in your life. If you are the only one in the room with knowledge on a subject, you are the intelligent one by default.

No comments:

Post a Comment