Sunday, March 10, 2013

Digimon VPet (Digimon vs. Pokemon)

On my breaks from rigorous scholarships, I've been playing the Digimon VPet app for Android (there might be one for iPhone too, but I don't think so). It's in its beta phase, so it has quite a few bugs and a limited amount of Digimon, but I've still been really enjoying it. It's kind of like if Pokemon and Tomagotchi had a baby. The battle interface is similar to Pokemon, but you take care of like you would a Tomagotchi.

As a fan of the show (it's one of my most dear bits of nostalgia), and someone who has the first have of Adventure 1 on DVD, I am enjoying this app so very much. Personally, I like Digimon anime quite a bit better than Pokemon anime. Please, put your tomatoes away.

I just always thought Digimon was a great battle versus good and evil instead of glorified cock fights. It was rich in character development and the creatures and premise were much more interesting in Digimon. It's really a shame Pokemon became so much more popular. Of course, the PokePremise lent itself much better to a longer run time. Eventually, the DigiDestined would have to defeat the evil and there would be no other reason to stay there without it being dumb. In Pokemon, they can just move to another region and start all over again, and it would make sense in the world they created (sort of).

Plus, OMGPATAMONISSOCUTE!!! Now that I'm done fangirl-ing...

Many people think that Digimon is just a rip off of Pokemon. If you've ever watched both series, you'll know that's a bunch of bologna. Both were made to sell merchandise, both were made in Japan, and both have cute critters. That's where the similarities end. Even the world they are set in is different. Pokemon is set in a world entirely separate from our own in every way, and the Digital World runs parallel to ours in the show.

Don't get me wrong, I love Pokemon. It's up there in my favorite bits of nostalgia. I think the Pokemon games are better, but I just happen to like Digimon a lot more.

No comments:

Post a Comment